Sunday, April 28, 2019

Top Five All Time

By: Patrick Morris


Hey everybody welcome back to LegalSpeak a ColdNorth Production. I'm TheLawMorris and this is the video essay series where I get to talk about the games I've been playing and what I think of the medium as a whole. You can see everything we do all in one spot over at ColdNorthPro.com and don’t forget to hit that subscribe button for a new video and two new podcasts every week! This week we will be talking about my top five favorite games of all time so lets get right to it!

Please consider this your official spoiler warning. I will announce the game I am about to talk about then everything I have to say afterward is fair game so if you hear a game you don’t want spoiled make sure to hit pause and back away from the video slowly. But also the newest game on this list came out in 2013 so I think we are beyond the statute of limitations on all of these.

#5 Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
I have made some bold statements about Metal Gear Solid in general over the past year on our podcast and I'm about to make some more. Metal Gear Solid is the best multi part story ever told in a video game series. It's like Star Wars but better. And of all the Metal Gear games Snake Eater is the best. Knowing that Big Boss would eventually go on to become the main villain of the series but still agreeing with him and becoming so invested in his motives and decisions as a character made me want to play Peace Walker as soon as Snake Eater was over. The progression of the fall of Naked Snake throughout the big boss trilogy is one of the best character arcs ever written and it all started with Metal Gear Solid 3.

#4 Halo Combat Evolved
All Halo fans that have been with the series since the first game remember the first time they heard that song and saw the main menu. I was stopping by my friend Evan's house after school one day in December of 2001, he asked if I wanted to play Halo with him and having no idea what it was I declined but as I was on my way out the door I heard it and I froze. Halo completely revolutionized first person shooters on consoles and Combat Evolved was the catalyst of a sci fi series that would eventually go on to rank amongst the top series the genre like Star Wars and Star Trek. Halo Combat Evolved is one of a kind and purely out of nostalgia I suspect it will never be surpassed by another Halo game.

#3 Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Literally the best sequel ever made. DKC 2 takes what was established in what was already one of the best platformers not only on the console or of the generation but of all time Donkey Kong Country and improves on it in every single way. DKC 2 serves up a better story, better characters, better gameplay, better graphics (didn’t think that was possible on the SNES), better game design, and even tighter controls than it's predecessor. And it does all of this while locking up the main character from the first game and putting the sidekick center stage. Donkey Kong Country 2 is flat out the best of it’s genre and as close to a perfect game as has ever been made.

#2 Bioshock Infinite
I am a huge fan of thriller stories and no not that kind of thriller. So I'm always chasing that next huge revelation moment whether it be a game, movie, TV, or a book those twists that nobody could have possibly seen coming are some of the most treasured moments for me in the media I consume. I'm also a big fan of sci fi and time travel stories so naturally BioShock Infinite had to show up somewhere on this list right? I just don’t know how this one evaded me until the BioShock collection was released in 2016. But anyway, that game really sunk its hooks into me when I played it and had me guessing all the way up until the end. Then at the very end when its revealed that Booker and Comstock are the same person from different universes and in order to kill Comstock Booker has to have never been given the opportunity to be baptized…wow. BioShock Infinite left my jaw on the floor and that’s where it stayed for weeks.

#1 The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask
I know I know Majora's Mask is such a typical pick and everyone and their brother has a video about how dark it is which is undeniable the game is dark, hell I even made a video a few months back all about this game. But Majora's Mask did something that is so difficult for any medium, it told an ominous story with a positive upbeat tone. The game was about the pain a child goes through as he loses his best friend but more importantly it’s about how he moves on and pushes forward with his life while accepting and properly grieving loss. Majora's Mask can serve as a lesson for us all in that everything will pass with time we just need to use the time we have to be better.

So those are my top five favorite games of all time, this is a constantly evolving list and I typically keep a really solid idea of what the top five are because my top ten would be to liquid. Are there any on my list that rang true with you? What are your favorite games of all time? Let me know in the comments down below.

If you liked what you heard don’t forget to hit that subscribe button for a new video and two new podcasts every week. You can also go see everything we do all in one spot over at ColdNorthPro.com. I will be back next week talking more about Metal Gear Solid 2 so until then just go play some games!

No comments:

Post a Comment